A few years back, I wrote a humor book and dedicated it to my parents. A heartfelt, sincere thank you to them for their support. But then, I saw what other people wrote on their dedication pages, and I’m afraid I missed my shot at greatness. Even people in academia have written funnier dedication pages than I did. Can you believe it? The nerds have outdone me again.
Thankfully, though, I have these hilarious inscriptions from authors who took the time to write something good. Move over, Dave Eggers! There’s a new group of clever people writing acknowledgments. (Dave Eggers wrote a really funny book that even toyed with the copyright page. Look into it.).
If you pick up even one book this year, remember to check for funny blurbs and dedication pages. There might be something great in there that’s better than the book itself.
Here are the funniest dedication pages ever written in a book:
1. My personal favorite from Samantha Irby’s ‘Wow No Thank You‘
2. From Josh Gondelman’s ‘Nice Try‘
3. A cute one.
4. Drink it in.
5. From Joseph J. Rotman’s Algebraic Topology book
6. A lady in the streets but a freak when she reads? I don’t know.
7. Let them be mad. It was worth it.
8. That you know of!
9. Chelsea Handler knows her audience.
10. Good work, Dad.
11. Two of the greats.
12. Never forget.
13. That’s all we ask.
14. All right, sure.
15. The most important person when it comes to the writing of a book.
16. Finally, the truth comes out.
17. I bet the author asked everyone to buy the book.
18. From Cracked’s ‘You Might Be A Zombie And Other Bad News‘
19. I can’t with this.
20. This was almost nice!
21. Another asshole.
22. Good to know.
23. Who wants to tell him.
24. They did it all.
25. Mom, no questions, please.
26. Good work, parents. You did the minimum.
27. T. Michael Martin, ‘The End Games‘
28. Maybe it was supposed to be nice?
29. Honestly, we owe dogs so much for being good people.
30. ‘Austenland‘ By Shannon Hale
32. This page can’t be topped.
34. Fuck you, Scott!
35. Why not?
36. EE Cummings dedicated his book of poems to all the places that had previously rejected his work.
37. From Skullduggery Pleasant
38. That’s rough.
39. Sucks to be you, person who bought this book!
40. Too many to count.
41. Shout out to them.
42. Is this good advice even if she had?
43. Hell yeah, Barbara!
44. Nice work, Bukowski.
h/t Bored Panda