Look, I’ve never really enjoyed the Bed, Bath, & Beyond aesthetic. Honestly, the signs that say something like “Look at the time! It’s Wine O’Clock!” make me want to mix pills with whatever wine that homeowner is serving. And yet, every sign or shirt that says “go away, I’m reading” or the like instantly soothes me and makes me ask where the tea is because I’m about to sit on the couch and cuddle up with a book and a cat (I’m allergic, but still have the impulse).
Enter the Reddit forum r/BookPorn. No, Mom, it’s not porn that takes place in a library. Get your mind out of the gutter. It’s just photos of libraries themselves that make your brain cum. That’s why “porn” is in the name. Don’t quote me on that or anything else I’ve written on this site.
This forum fetishizes the bookish life and frankly, I’m here for it. I love seeing a welcoming home library with a fireplace or a fancy new-age public library that leaves people in awe as if it were a church. If you worship at the altar of the Humanities, you’ll agree this is borderline religious.
I hope these photos calm you and make you feel like settling down with a good book today.
Here are the best recent photos from the Reddit forum r/BookPorn:
1. Bookcase with a Putnam rolling ladder in our bedroom. My wife and I moved 4 years ago and my goal is to fill it entirely with books before the house is paid off.
2. Barter Books in Alnwick, Northumberland is the largest second-hand bookshop in the UK.
3. We found the coolest library ever in South Korea.
4. Mural in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
5. My home library at night.
6. Dropping out of college to have a bookstore on wheels.
7. My Barnes and Noble Leatherbound Classics.
8. Spent all day rearranging my books as a way to maintain the illusion of control during quarantine.
9. The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire book series spine covers.
10. In love with this reading corner
11. Library Cake.
12. 15 years of collecting books in one picture.
13. I have missed you, used bookstores.
14. This is Admont Abbey. It’s in Admont at a monastery. This is their library.
15. Estate sale haul.
16. This is what a pandemic year looks like to a book lover. 126 read in 2020!
17. It’s not hoarding if it’s books.
18. My university reading room.
19. The view from my bed. Just installed those shelves at the top.
20. Cool cover for Dante’s Inferno.
21. He has been selling used books in Morocco for 45 years. Everyone who passed through his library saw him drowning in his magical world.
22. My local bookstore. My happy place.
23. Bookshelf Theater at Tokyo’s Kadokawa Culture Museum.
24. I’ve actually been to this one personally. It’s in Manhattan. Used books. Lovely.
25. My little bookstore in the rain.
26. Pile of all the books I read in 2020.
27. Booktopia bookstores’ warehouse in Sydney, Australia.
28. Oh look!
29. Finally finished my library and unpacked my books. Eventually, I’ll do the other side of the room. I really love how it turned out.
30. A French edition of Farenheit 451.
Ahh. Simply a lovely bunch of photos.