Who doesn’t love Waldo (or Wally if you’re from the UK)? He’s traveled time and space through utter chaos and seems genuinely unfazed. He wears the same look of bemused wonder no matter where he shows up.
That’s why I think it’s incredible that when he shows up in paintings, he’s still as relaxed as ever.
The Tumblr called “Vintage Waldo” photoshops the classic characters from Where’s Waldo into famous pieces of art. It’s fun. You’ll like it.
The site even places the lore of the paintings into the Waldo canon:
“Once upon a time, in a desperate attempt at self-promotion, Waldo forced Wizard Whitebeard to send him back in time to meet and inspire his favorite painters. Art curators, skilled only in the art of stopping time travelers from placing themselves in famous paintings, removed Waldo from these pieces. Now, for the first time ever, we present to you the original artwork of countless men and women who were inspired by the greatest adventurer of all time.”
Here are the funniest pics from the Vintage Waldo Tumblr that places Waldo in famous paintings:
1. Peter Brueghel: Children Playing
2. Hieronymus Bosch: The Garden of Earthly Delights
3. Leonardo da Vinci: The Last Supper
4. Henry Darger: from The Story of the Vivian Girls
5. Katsushika Hokusai: The Great Wave
6. Johaness Vermeer: Girl with a Pearl Earring
7. Peeter Baltens: Christ on the Road to Calvary
8. Edward Hopper: Nighthawks
9. Georges Seurat – A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte
10. Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni – The Last Judgment
11. Paolo Veronese: The Wedding at Cana
12. Sandro Botticelli: The Birth of Venus
13. Paolo Veronese: The Wedding at Cana
14. Francisco Goya: Third of May 1808
15. James Abbott McNeill Whistler: Whistler’s Mother
16. Vincent Van Gogh: Cafe Terrace at Night
17. Rene Magritte: The Son of Man
h/t Vintage Waldo